Indo-Asian News Service
New Delhi: Condoling the tragic death of two-year-old Sonu, trapped in a 150-foot deep pit for four days and brought out dead on Monday, President Pratibha Patil issued advisories to various ministries to come out with safety guidelines.
Taking a note of the tragedy and other similar incidents in the past, Rashtrapati Bhavan issued advisories to the ministries of rural development, urban development, water resources and home to prescribe necessary safety standards.
The advisories also specified that safety precautions should also be taken while digging borewells and instructions should be accordingly given for their strict compliance, said a statement issued here.
“The president has expressed deep anguish over the frequencies of such mishaps,” it said.
Sonu`s body was recovered by rescue workers on Monday, more than 96 hours after he fell into an open bore well while playing near his home in a village near Agra on Thursday.
Earlier this year, a small boy, Suraj, died after falling into the shaft of an open and unguarded bore well in Jaipur. In July 2006, a boy named Prince fell into a deep well in Kurukshetra, but was saved.
Advesh of Jhansi and Sarika of Bikaner died in January in similar accidents.