Washington, Feb 15: At least 17 people were killed and several others were injured in a school shooting on Wednesday in the US state of Florida. Here is the story in 10 points:
1. Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel told the press that 12 were killed in the school building, two were killed outside the building, one on a road nearby and two died in hospital from wounds.
2. The shooting occurred at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, which was voted Florida's safest city last year, CNN reported.
3. The school said the incident took place as the school was dismissing students.
4. The shooter was identified as Nikolaus Cruz, a 19-year-old expelled student at the school. He was captured shortly after the shooting. An AR-15 semi-automatic rifle was found at the site.
5. The Police reportedly captured the suspect about 1.6 kilometres from the school.
6. Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump said, "My prayers and condolences to the families of the victims of the terrible Florida shooting. No child, teacher or anyone else should ever feel unsafe in an American school."
7. Democratic Senator Chris Murphy of Connecticut -- a prominent voice in the fight for gun control -- took to the Senate floor late this afternoon to address the Florida school shooting.
8. We are responsible for a level of mass atrocity that happens in this country with zero parallel anywhere else," he said.
9. "Let me just note once again for my colleagues: this happens nowhere else other than the United States of America. This epidemic of mass slaughter, this scourge of school shooting after school shooting," he added.
10. "It only happens here not because of coincidence, not because of bad luck, but as a consequence of our inaction," he said.