New Delhi: The 39 Indians abducted by the global terror outfit Islamic State more than one-and-a-half-years ago from Mosul in Iraq are alive, External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj told their families on Sunday.
Swaraj while assuring their families said that the government was "fully and continuously engaged" and "every possible effort" was being made to ensure their release.
The minister told them Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas informed her that the "Indians are alive and made to work" in war-torn Iraq as per his government's intelligence information.
Referring to her Bahrain visit on January 23 for first India-Arab League Cooperation Forum, Swaraj said that a declaration had been adopted during the meeting, which said, “The two sides expressed concern at the kidnapping of 39 Indian workers in Mosul in Iraq in June 2014 and 3 Indian workers in Sirte in Libya in June 2015.”
"The Arab side expressed full solidarity with India in all efforts for their early release from captivity."
The Indians were kidnapped by Islamic militant group ISIS from a construction site in Mosul in 2014.
(With agency inputs)