New Delhi: The 'Gabru' and 'Blue Eyes' rapper Honey Singh, turns 32 today. Honey Singh is effortlessly the greatest bonafide pop star India has produced in decades.
In a nation where pop-music essentially means Bollywood music, Honey has carved out a special position for himself as Punjabi rapper, a man whose lyrics are wicked but are enjoyed by everyone.
Here are five fun facts we bet you might not be knowing about your favourite singer:
- He learnt music from DJ Vishal and bagged 2nd position at the ‘War of DJs’.
- Honey Singh picked up the slang 'Yo Yo' from his African-American friends, which when translated means aapka apna (your own). This gave his name a new identity 'aapka apna Honey'.
- He made his acting debut in 2012 in a Punjabi film ‘Mirza’ where he played a character of a gangster.
- Honey Singh shot the video of his famous song 'Brown Rang' which was directed by video directors from Los Angeles in Dubai for a whooping amount of $100,000.
- Yo Yo's song ‘Gabru’, featuring J-star, topped the official BBC Asian Music Charts.