New Delhi, Oct 16: Known for her sheer elegance and versatility, Hema Malini has redefined the essence of Indian film industry with her charm. An actress, director, producer, dancer and indeed, a politician, Hema Malini has done more than 150 movies, many opposite legendary actors like Dharmendra, Amitabh Bachchan, Rajesh Khanna and Dev Anand.
Known as the 'Dream Girl', Hema Malini has undoubtedly taken away hearts!
On her 68th birthday, here are some less known facts about Hema Malini:
1. Hema was the fourth highest paid actress in 1971-1975 and the second highest paid actress in 1976-1980 and 1982-1985 along with Zeenat Aman.
2. Hema Malini was amongst the first few actresses to wear bell bottoms and shirts on Silver Screen.
3. In her autobiography ‘Hema Malini: The Authorized Biography’ she reveals that Jeetendra and Sanjeev Kapoor, two of the biggest superstars of the retro era, approached her with a marriage proposal. But it was Dharmendra who made her heart melt.
4. As Dharmendra was already married and had four children, Hema Malini and Dharmendra converted to Islam. Post-conversion Hema was named Aisha Bi R Chakravarty and Dharmendra was named Dilwar Khan.
5. Hema Malini is six-year elder to Sunny Deol –Dharmendra’s son from Prakash Kaur.
6. Hema has more than 150 films, and surprisingly, she is the only actress in Bollywood who has acted opposite all Raj Kapoor clan actors:
- Raj Kapoor – Sapno Ka Saudagar - Shammi Kapoor – Andaaz - Shashi Kapoor – Trishul - Randhir Kapoor – Haath ki Safaai - Rishi Kapoor – Ek Chaadar Maili Si
7. Hema Malini is a 10th standard dropout as she always wanted to be an actress. It was in 2012, she received an Honorary Doctorate in Philosophy from Singhania University in Udaipur, Rajasthan.
8. In 1964, she was rejected by Tamil director, CV Sridhar for not being a ‘star material’. The role was later given to Jayalalitha. Hema Malini got her first break in 1965 with a small role in a film called Pandava Vanavasam.
9. The dream girl Of Bollywood got her first Filmfare award for Seeta aur Geeta in 1972. She was also honoured with Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award in 2000 and was awarded Padma Bhushan for her contribution to Indian Cinema.
10. Hema Malini met the love of her life, Dharmendra on the sets of ‘Tum Haseen Main Jawan’. Thereafter, the couple did more than 40 films together.
Here's wishing Hema Malini a very happy birthday from News24!