Mumbai: Deposition of Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) operative David Coleman Headley began at 7am today at a special court in Mumbai.
Headley is being deposed via video-conferencing from a prison in the US.
Here is what Headley told the Mumbai court so far:
1. I was a true follower of LeT.
2. Sajid Mir of Lashkar-e-Taiba was my main contact.
3. After I changed my name, I disclosed this information to my colleague Sajid Mir of LeT.
4. Sajid Mir wanted me to setup some business or office in India.
5. After I changed my name, within few weeks I visited Pakistan.
6. I changed my name so that I could enter India. I wanted to enter India with an American name.
7. Sajid Mir (LeT) wanted me to set up some business or office in India.
8. Sajid Mir (LeT) specified object of his intention before my first visit to India.
9. After receiving new passport I visited India 8 times, out of 8 times I visited Mumbai 7 times.
10. Sajid Mir (LeT) asked me to take general video of Mumbai city. My 7 visits to India were directly from Pakistan and 1 from UAE.
11. After 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks I visited India on 7th March 2009 from Lahore to Delhi.
12. All details except place of birth, date of birth, mother's nationality & passport number, were incorrect in my visa application.
13. Two attempts were made to attack Mumbai prior to 26/11.
14. First attempt was made in Sept 2008 but boat hit rocks in the ocean, weapons &explosives lost but those on board survived.
15. Second attempt to attack Mumbai made in October 2008, those involved in 1st attempt were involved in this as well, but attack failed.
16. Third and final attack on Mumbai was successful (26/11).
17. I and retired major Abdur Rehman Pasha were arrested in Landi Kotal near Pak-Afghan border because I looked like a foreigner.
18. During my arrest, Major Ali came to interrogate me and I was having some Indian literature in my possession.
19. During interrogation I gave information to Major Ali that I’m holding a business office in India.
20. Major Ali thought that I will be beneficial for gathering intelligence from India.
21. Sajid Mir (LeT) was using the email ID [email protected] to communicate.
22. Major Ali introduced me to Major Iqbal of Pakistan ISI.
23. Sajid Mir & Major Iqbal were happy to see my Indian visa.Sajid Mir was guiding me on getting visas.
24. Dr. Tahawwur Hussain Rana helped me to get Indian visa. I met him in a military school in Punjab province.
25. Dr. Tahawwur Hussain Rana was my schoolmate for 5 years. After school, Rana became a doctor in Pakistan Army in Rawalpindi.
26. Headley said that he did LeT's work on directions of Hafiz Saeed: Mahesh Jethmalani (David Headley's lawyer).
27. I visited 5-6 militant training camps in Pak. I attended Daura-e-Suffa,Daura-e-Amma,Daura-e-Khasa,Daura-e-Ribat leadership courses.
28. During these leadership courses I met Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhavi & Hafiz Saeed sahab. They used to give religious ‘jihad’ speeches.
29. During these courses they also taught us that India is enemy of Islam.
30. Headley said, 'Jihad' is to fight against enemies of Islam: Ujjwal Nikam.
31. I intended to go to Kashmir to fight against Indian troops, but they (Lakhvi) didn't send me.
32. They (Lakhvi) told me that I’m too old for this and they will use me for some other purpose.
David Headley's deposition in Mumbai court will continue at 7am tomorrow via video link.