New Delhi: Red carpet looks aren't all about clothes and make-up. Getting the basics like glowing skin and de-puffed eyes are the key behind making the right statement, say experts.
Celebrity make-up artist Namrata Soni and dermatologist Rashmi Shetty have shared some tips:
* Make your skin glow: To ensure that your skin glows, go for an exfoliator that has both physical and chemical exfoliants. Apply a facial oil or cream and work upwards, starting at the neck, making sure you cover each section of your face while lifting the skin as you move up. Once your skin takes on a healthy pinkish colour, you can remove the oil with a damp wash cloth.
Many make the mistake of applying it after a shower which may tend to cause irritation as the skin absorbs things more quickly after being cleansed. Hence, apply a gel-based mask (which can be a peel-off or can be used as a scrub) before the shower and wash it after taking bath with a cold water so that the hot water doesn't harm your skin. This gives your skin a lighter feel and flawless glow.
* De-puff and lift your eyes: When your skin is dry, it can allow for pesky fine lines and wrinkles to appear more pronounced. Around your delicate eye contour, these lines -- known as crow's feet -- can put a damper on your skin's appearance. A good mask and eye treatment should help to plump, rejuvenate and give your skin new life. Apply a hydrating mask in an even layer and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes to achieve those lit up eyes when you smile.
To get rid of dark circles quickly, use a cold tea bag or a cotton soaked in a cold rose water as it instantly diminishes puffiness and relieves tiredness. Additionally, closing your eyes tightly and opening them wide 10 times will drain the fluid and efficiently help to reduce the puffiness.
* Hydrate your body: For skin that looks healthy and radiant on camera, you would want to layer with hydrating products before you apply any make-up. Start with a hydrating mist to moisten the skin and allow your products to penetrate. Quench dehydrated skin by applying a light hydrating serum, followed by your favourite moisturiser. Use a rich eye cream around the eyes and moisturise your lips with a luxurious lip balm. One final spray of toner will give your skin a lovely sheen and dewy finish, leaving you with a perfect canvas for a flawless makeup application
* Flaunt the legs with style: If you're going to show off your legs in a classic deep slit red carpet gown, you will need to make sure they are ready to be revealed. It's best to stay away from harmful creams and painful waxing as they can damage your skin and cause rashes if you have a sensitive skin. Switch to shaving as it is the safest method of hair removal and is also recommended by dermatologists. Use a razor that has skin conditioning ingredients like Gillette Venus Breeze, which comes with in-built body butters and glycerin that will help keep your skin moisturised before and after the shave.
* Lips that are ready for flying kisses: The skin on your lips needs to be taken care of and protected just like any other part of your body. To pull off the celebrity-style air kissing, the pout is bound to need a little extra attention. For luscious lips like your favourite celebrity, lightly exfoliate them with a dry toothbrush, scrubbing in circular motions to get rid of any dry skin. After you exfoliate, lock in moisture and condition your lips with a nourishing lip balm.
* Beauty sleep for mental rejuvenation: Getting deep sleep is one of the best things you can do for your skin before a big event. During your sleep cycle, your body repairs each of its systems, including your skin. Deep breathing and meditation is also a very important part of skin cleansing as watching your breath flow in and out helps you become aware of your skin and thus rejuvenates it.
* Also, if you have two to three days before the event, you can approach your dermatologist for a hyper-diluted botox injection, as it not only makes your skin glow but also super-tight, beautiful and shiny.