Sirsa: A video-journalist of a TV channel was injured when his crew was attacked by followers of Dera Sacha Sauda sect chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, moments after a CBI court convicted him in a rape case today.
Vehicles of media organisations were also attacked. The injured video-journalist was being rushed to a hospital.
Security was beefed up with a heavy deployment of police and paramilitary personnel around the Dera Sacha Sauda headquarters here as a special CBI court in Panchkula found the head of the sect guilty in a rape case.
Barricades were put up at a distance of 3 kms from the Dera headquarters and the security personnel were equipped with tear gas shells and water cannons.
How violence began in Haryana:
1) Journalists continue to come under attack in Panchkula and Sirsa
2) Curfew imposed in Patiala and Fazilka districts of Punjab
3) Sangrur sub-divsion office set on fire.
4) Income tax office in Panchkula’s Sector 2, petrol pump in Sector-4 set on fire.
5) At least one confirmed dead near Hafed chowk in Panchkula
6) Power house in Punjab’s Sangrur set on fire.
7) Curfew imposed in Panchkula.
8) Mob enters Sector 3 residential area in Panchkula.
9) Balluana village railway station, situated near Abohar in Bathinda district, burnt by angry mob.
10) Ram Rahim boards chopper, taken to Rohtak.
11) Fear of mob entering houses grips people in places adjoining Panchkula such as Peer Muchala.
12) Curfew imposed in three Punjab town — Ferozepur, Mansa and Bathinda.
13) Mob sets HT photojournalist Ravi Kumar’s scooter on fire.
14) Police start running away from mob at Hafed chowk, scores of vehicles vadalised, tear gas fills the air.
15) Tension grips Sirsa. Followers congregate at the Dera Sacha Sauda premises, refuse to comment.
16) Dera followers get violent, metres away from court complex in Panchkula’s Sector 1.
17) Railway station in Punjab’s Malout set on fire.
18) Punjab chief minister Capt Amarinder Singh appeals for calm and peace.
19) Panchkula DC arrives in Sector 4 as mob gets violent.
20) Curfew imposed in Bathinda, two cars set on fire in Mansa.
21) Now, violence reported from Panchkula’s Sector-4. Dera followers resort to vandalising cars and other vehicles. Police resort to tear gas shelling and water cannons to control the violent mob.
22) Curfew likely to be imposed in Panchkula.
23) Police resort to using tear gas shells to handle growing mobs in Panchkula, fire blank shots.
24) Violence in Panchkula’s Sector-3. Dera followers reportedly vandalised some cars.
25) Doctors team arrives at Panchkula courts for mandatory check-up after arrest
26) Baba Ram Rahim to be taken to Rohtak jail on chopper.
27) Dera followers observe silence, begin gathering in one place
29) Army deployed.
30) Self-styled godman likely to be taken to Ambala central jail. Followers reportedly begin agitation.
31) Dera chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh convicted of raping two women followers, sentencing on August 28.
32) Cable television connections across Panchkula disconnected.
33) Judge Jagdeep Singh reading out the verdict
34) Power supply of nearby areas in Panchkula disconnected
35) Dera followers rush towards the court complex, gather at the barricading in huge numbers and start “celebrations” claiming the dera chief has been acquitted!
36) Hushed silence in Panchkula as thousands of Dera followers sat quietly in the open as it rained at Hafed Chowk adjoining Sector 4, awaiting verdict in the rape trial against Ram Rahim Singh on Friday afternoon.
37) Hearing begins in rape case against Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
38) Punjab CM Capt Amarinder Singh takes stock of security situation in Mohali, part of tricity along with Chandigarh and Panchkula
39) Ram Rahim enters court complex
40) Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar says state will get implemented any order in the rape case on Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh; calls for peace among “all Indians, particularly dera premis”.
41) After 200 hearings spread over 10 years and numerous stay orders of higher courts in between, the CBI special trial court in Panchkula is set to decide the fate of Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh.
42) Dera Sacha Sauda head Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh has arrived in Panchkula
43) Heavy security deployed outside the Panchkula court, Ram Rahim to arrive shortly.
44) On Facebook, Students for Society (SFS) leader writes about how campus of Panjab University is also witnessing some support for Ram Rahim.