New Delhi, Sep 27: Indian Para Commandos carried out a strike at the wee hours of Wednesday and inflicted damage on NSCN-K insurgents close to Langkhu village near the Indo-Myanmar border. Eastern Command, Indian Army informed, "Reports of casualties to Indian Army factually incorrect. Firefight occurred along Indo-Myanmar border at 0445 hrs today."
Heavy casualties were reportedly inflicted on NSCN(K) cadre. There were no casualties suffered by Indian Security Forces. Indian Army further informed that th troops did not cross the International border (Indo-Myanmar).
The troops reacted swiftly and brought down heavy retaliatory fire on insurgents. The insurgents then broke contact and fled the spot, according to the Eastern Command.
A column of Indian army while operating along Indo-Myanmar border was fired upon by unidentified insurgents, this morning.
"Not a surgical strike" say officials sources on firefighting along Indo-Myanmar border; heavy casualties reportedly inflicted on NSCN(K)
In June 2015, the Army had targeted NSCN-K camps. This happened when group’s militants ambushed and killed 18 Indian soldiers in Manipur.
This is the second such strike the Army has carried out along the Myanmar border. Why the Wednesday strike is important is because it is also the anniversary of India's surgical strike on the militants and terror camps on PoK after th Uri terror attack which took place last year.
Earlier this week Army chief Bipin Rawat had said India may conduct more surgical strikes “if needed”. "The strikes were a message we wanted to communicate. I think they understood what we meant. These things could follow, if required,” he said.