Washington: Amidst the eight standing ovations and sixty-six clapping interventions, Prime Minister Narendra Modi delivered an impeccable straightforward speech in the joint sitting of US Congress on Wednesday, stressing that “terrorism must be delegitimized”.
Here are excerpts from his speech:
- This temple of democracy has empowered and encouraged other democracies of the world. As representative of world's largest democracy, it is indeed a privilege to speak to the leaders of the oldest.
- India applauds great sacrifices of men and women from 'The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave' in service of mankind.
- There were many who doubted India when, as a newly independent nation, we repose our faith in democracy.
- Our founders created a modern nation with freedom, democracy, and equality as the essence of its soul.
- Today, India lives as one, India grows as one and India celebrates as one.
- Mahatma Gandhi's non violence inspired Martin Luther King's heroism.
- Former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee called India and the US, 'natural allies'.
- The genius of Baba Saheb Ambedkar was nurtured in the years he spent at the Columbia University a century ago, and it reflected in the Indian Constitution.
- No wonder then, that President Obama has called our ties the defining partnership of the 21st century.
- India will never forget the solidarity shown by U.S. Congress when terrorists from across our border attacked Mumbai in 2008.
- We trade more with the US than with any other nation.
- You are well-known for your bipartisanship. I also witnessed similar spirit in Indian Parliament, especially in Upper House.
- SIRI tells us that India's ancient heritage of Yoga has over 30 million practitioners in the USA. And, we have not yet claimed intellectual property right on Yoga.
- Connecting our two nations is also a unique and dynamic bridge of three million Indian Americans.
- My dream is to economically empower our billion citizens through many social and economic transformations.
- I see US as an indispensable partner. Many of you believe that a stronger & prosperous India is in America's strategic interest.
- India's strong economy and growth rate of 7.6% per annum, is creating new opportunities for our mutual prosperity.
- Terrorism remains the biggest threat. From West of India's border to Africa, it may go by different names, LeT, Taliban or ISIS. But it’s philosophy is common, of hate, murder and violence. Those who believe in humanity must come together as one and speak against this menace in one voice. Terrorism must be delegitimized.
- For us in India, to live in harmony with mother earth is a part of our ancient belief.
- Constraints of the past are behind us and foundations of the future firmly in place.
- Terrorism incubated in India's neighbourhood, commend US Congress for sending clear message to those who preach terror for political gains.
With agency inputs