Carbohydrates are one of three macronutrients (nutrients that form a large part of our diet) in food – the others being fat and protein. Hardly any foods contain only one nutrient and most are a combination of carbohydrates, fats and proteins in varying amounts. Carbohydrates can be good and harmful. Everyone needs to eat carbohydrates, but that doesn't mean its okay to load up on cakes and cookies to get your recommended daily servings. Learn about the carbs that belong on your plate and the carbs you want to skip. Here are three quick less-carbs recipes:
1. Grilled Chicken Wings With Greens and Salsa
This is one of my all-time favorite meals. There's something "primitive" about eating meat off the bone... love it.
Ingredients: Chicken Wings, Spices, Some Greens, Salsa.
- Put spice on chicken wings (I use a chicken spice mix).
- Insert into oven, heat at 180-200°C (356-392°F) for about 40 minutes.
- Grill until wings are brown and crunchy.
- Serve with some vegetables and salsa.
2. Cheeseburgers Without The Bun
his is a meal that I never get tired of. Burgers without the bun, with some cheeses and served with raw spinach.
Ingredients: Butter, Hamburgers, Cheddar Cheese, Cream Cheese, Salsa, Spices, Spinach.
- Put butter on pan, turn up the heat.
- Add burgers and spices.
- Flip until close to being ready.
- Add a few slices of cheddar and some cream cheese on top.
- Turn down the heat and put a lid on the pan until the cheese melts.
- Serve with some spinach. I like to pour some of the fat from the pan on top of the spinach.
- To make the burgers even more juicy, add some salsa on top.
3. Fried Pieces of Chicken Breast
I don't always eat chicken breasts, but when I do... I add lots of butter to make them palatable.
Ingredients: Butter, Chicken Breast, Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Curry and Vegetables.
- Cut chicken breast into small pieces.
- Add butter to pan, turn up the heat.
- Add chicken pieces.
- Add a bunch of salt, pepper, curry and garlic powder.
- Stir fry until the chicken gets a brown, crunchy texture.
- Serve with some greens.