New Delhi: If you are using WhatsApp messaging services then there is important and, may be bad, news for you. By the end of the year you may not be able to use it anymore. If you are lucky then you may be able to use it till June next year. That’s because WhatsApp messaging app will stop working on old phones and operating systems by December 31 this year. If you want to continue to use the services, then you will have to buy a new mobile for sure.
Early this year, Facebook-owned Whatsapp had warned in a blog post that it will no longer support older models and that the deadline for upgrading was approaching fast.
Now that blog post has been updated. It says that services for for those who have not upgraded will end by December 31, while for some it may continue till June 2017.
“When we started WhatsApp in 2009, people's use of mobile devices looked very different from today. The Apple App Store was only a few months old. About 70 per cent of smartphones sold at the time had operating systems offered by BlackBerry and Nokia. As we look ahead to our next seven years, we want to focus our efforts on the mobile platforms the vast majority of people use,” the blog post says.
A spokesperson was quoted as saying, "While these mobile devices have been an important part of our story, they don't offer the kind of capabilities we need to expand our app’s features in the future.”
Let’s see its impact on different users
1. iPhone users
• WhatsApp will stop on iPhone 3GS by Dec 31
• It will also not function on any iPhone running on iOS 6
• Change also affects first, second, third or fourth generation iPads that have not been upgraded
2. Android users
• WhatsApp will not function on any Android tablet/ phone running on Android 2.1 or 2.2.
• This affects all phones launched between 2010 and 2011 which have not been upgraded
3. Windows phone users
• If you are using Windows Phone 7 then for you WhatsApp will not work anymore
4. Blackberry and Nokia users
• Users of these phones are safe till June 2017: BlackBerry OS, BlackBerry 10, Nokia S40 and Nokia Symbian S60.